A "normal" evening

When most people get home from work, I imagine they do things like make dinner, work on home projects, catch up on reading or their favorite TV show. 

What did I do tonight? Ate a piece of toast and had a photo shoot with flowers. Much more fun than anything "normal."

My tulips did not do very well this spring. We had a cold snap that took them out much too early. But my peonies are doing marvelous this year. 

When I bought this house, the peony bushes were on the "wrong" side of the house. They would not bloom. I'm guessing they were not getting enough sun. I started moving them a couple of years ago. And the ones that I moved first are really thriving this spring. 

Last night I had one bloom open enough to cut for an arrangement. Rain was coming in overnight, so I cut it before it was dowsed with heavy rain. Now I'm wondering if that night cutting is what helped it to have all of the ants gone from the flower.

We had a nice long rain most of the morning. Then the sun came out. When I got home from work I discovered a lot of blooms open and so heavy with rain they were drooping to the ground and that is just not acceptable at my house. 

I had all but one cut before I remembered I have dad's camera at my house. So rather than working on the yard or remodeling projects I had hopes of doing, I did a photo shoot instead. I think it was a wise decision. 


If you are new to peonies, this is when you start getting excited for the blooms. I always thought the ants helped the flower bloom, but after a quick google search, some reliable sources say the plant will bloom with or without the ants. They help keep other harmful insects away. Lesson learned. 



Growing up, we had a couple of peony bushes. Mom taught us to shake the ants off before we brought them into the house. Well the ants at my house are not bothered at all by the shaking. My google search also had one site recommending dunking them in water to get rid of the ants. I think I will do more reading before I ruin my blooms.




This is the collection from tonight's cutting. The majority are from the same bush and there is more to come. 

Spring time is the best!


Comments

Popular Posts