A new kind of report

Each year we are asked to provide a report for several of our local Farm Bureau Annual meetings. This year, I convinced my boss to let me write it like a blog post, rather than an impact report. My hope is that more people will read it and connect with it. 

I just finished it and thought I can either email it to my boss to proof....or I can post it one here for all of you to proof for me. I'll change the specific references to location, just to be on the safe side. But I am confident that you can fill in the blanks. 

Let me know what you think.


As communications coordinator, I have the unique opportunity to see almost every aspect of our programming. I “tag along” with the program staff, help out where I can, take photos, listen, and learn. I wish everyone could come along with me. You would be impressed and inspired by the work happening in P County by both Extension staff and volunteers.
I consider it both a privilege and challenge to share those stories in a way that speak to everyone. I have learned that some people like facts and figures, while others connect with a personal story. I’m going to save the facts and figures for our impact report that comes out in January. I promise to save you a copy.
For now, let me tell you a few stories of what has been happening in P County.
 


Just like parents, we would say we don’t have favorites, but if I had to guess, I would say Kathy E, SNAP-Ed instructor, may have a favorite class. She has the honor to present “It’s Fun to Be Healthy” curriculum to preschoolers at *** Early Childhood Education Center. The students in this classroom are hearing impaired. The day I tagged along with Kathy it was clear to me how much the children and the teachers love to have “Miss Kathy” in their classroom. She connects with them in a special way that goes beyond the nutrition lesson. Each student had a turn helping make the snack: adding, stirring, or measuring for the recipe. She encouraged them to try a new food and respected their likes and dislikes. Kathy is helping those students and all of her classrooms build a solid foundation of healthy eating.

As you have heard from past reports, we have a very strong drive to provide programs that focus on science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM.) I will spare you the long list of STEM opportunities that happened throughout 2018. Let me tell you about one that took our youth out of this world. Judy S, Metro 4-H educator, worked with P Technology, R Township and several other partners for STEM Academy, a week-long day camp for junior high age youth. Throughout the week, the group learned about and built a “weather balloon,” officially called a high-altitude balloon. I was there the day they launched it, which was a much more complicated process then I ever imagined. My favorite part was watching the video and images captured by the attached camera. The balloon traveled into near-space and burst, but the important payload made it safely back to earth and allowed the camp participants to analyze the data collected. I am inspired by both the students and the professionals who volunteer to teach about STEM.


Growing up in the S County 4-H program has given me a special attraction to our 4-H programs. I bet many of you reading this have your own 4-H memories. My most influential 4-H memories are when I was a teenager and was given more leadership responsibilities. When I attend our P 4-H Show and our 4-H Teen Teacher programs I want to get on my soapbox and shout to everyone about how awesome our teen leaders are. Thanks to our 4-H staff and volunteers, the teens are trained and given meaningful responsibilities. Their work and opinion is valued and our 4-H program is better thanks to them. I love watching the mentoring that happens in both directions…between the adults and teens as well as between the teens and the younger members.

I can’t forget to give a shout-out to Kathie B, community economic development educator and the team of people who coordinated Career Spark. Kathie led the ag and natural resources committee that focused on bringing about 15 ag industry companies, schools, and organizations to the huge event held at the Civic Center. Over 3,000 eighth graders from five different counties attended the event. The PJ Star shared some great photos that really captured the excitement of the day.

I hope these few stories have encouraged you and helped you have a better insight into some of the programs happening in (the place I work). I would love to have you connect with us throughout the year on our Facebook page. Please keep an eye out for the full-blown impact report coming out in January.
 




Comments

Popular Posts