The day after the 4-H Show

Ever since I started working in the 4-H world, the day after the 4-H Show has been a sort of "holiday" for me. Holiday is not really the best word to describe it. Recuperation day, recovery day, regroup day.....those may be better descriptions. Typically, I am so exhausted (emotionally and physically) that I sleep most of the day and maybe read a book or watch TV. 

There are very few people in the world who can ask me to plan a party for the day after the 4-H Show, whom I would say "yes" to.

But this lovely lady is one of them!
I was so excited that she was going to be in the states to celebrate her birthday. 1998 was the last time we got to celebrate her birthday together. 
 Along with her sister and mom, we planned a small get together of some of her closest friends and family. It was important that she be able to visit with everyone there. 


We asked each of the guests to send us words that described International J. We used those as part of the decorations.
Gregarious, Loyal, Cheerful, Friendly, Smart, Engaging, Adventurous, Caring, Driven, Disciplined, Independent....these are just a few of the words that describe her.





 Photo bomber alert!
Our dear friend, Central IL J, made the cakes. She is famous in our area for her cakes. The two J's were in 4-H together. That is where the cake decorating skills started.
Two gregarious girls :).

I was so thankful for a great evening together with her, many friends and her family. 

But I really loved the chance to spend some quality time with her as well.....




Despite the many miles of ocean between our homes, we had been blessed to spend lots of quality time together. Sometimes it is face to face and sometimes it is on the phone. 

Ever since we became friends, she has pushed me out of my comfort zone, challenged me to set goals, pulled me out of pity parties, listened and advised, kept me accountable, made me think, laughed with me, went on adventures with me, shared my love of photos and so much more. 

I'm so blessed to have her friendship!


******

As I write this post that actually happened back in August, it is nice to remember the warm weather we were having at that time. We are below zero here today with dangerous wind chills and blowing snow. A good day to write some long over due blog posts. :)


Comments

Popular Posts