The power of words

H1 turned 6 last weekend! Those dimples are going to get him in trouble one day. For now, we just soak up his cute, energetic personality. His favorite part of birthday parties is the fact that the big boys come and play with him. 
My 13 year old nephew Little J is on the left. Our friend, 12 year old Big J, is on the right. They are usually game for playing with all of the toys, wrestling and chasing the boys, and shooting nerf guns and battling with light sabers. 

One evening this week, I stopped by my brother's house. H1 and H2 and I decided to go on an adventure with another of the new birthday toys. Grandma and Grandpa gave H1 this fun kid's lantern and headlamp. Having two pieces to a toy is perfect for the two brothers. They each get a piece and are both happy.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Ot-2pk-Owl-Com/982112551

My brother's house sits back off the road surrounded by a lot of trees. This dark, snowy, December night was the perfect setting to try out the lights. We got bundled up and headed outside. The boys were excited until we got about 20 steps away from the house and then they realized how dark and quiet it was outside. They both quickly found my hands, and voiced their fears, but I convinced them we could keep going. 

They fought their fear a couple more times during our adventure through the trees spaced out in the yard, around to the back of the house, and down the long driveway. We weaved our way around the property as we followed different hoof tracks in the snow, imagining which animal made the tracks and why they were walking the paths they did. 

When we get about half way down the driveway, it opens up to wide open space and sky. So we did what every good adventurer does and turned off the lights. The cloudless sky was full of bright stars. I looked up and said out loud "Thank you God for creating the sky and stars and earth and loving us." 
and I heard the sweetest response.
H1 looked up to the sky and repeated what I had just said. :) 

At that point we turned back, turned the lights back on, and headed back up the driveway towards the house. And the boys both took a leap of faith and let go of my hands. They took off on their own and didn't look back. 

Our adventure lasted about 30 minutes, but I'm trusting the memory and lessons will take root and last forever. 

As I was getting ready to leave that night I told the boys I was proud of them and their bravery. As I was half way out the door, H2 came running to me with one more question, "Was I brave too?" 
I reassured him that he was very brave and courageous and I was very proud of him. 

It reminded me how important it is to speak words that make souls stronger. 

https://annvoskamp.com/sticky-notes/


One more birthday related story. H1 & H2's grandma T gave them a gift that I love and I think others will want to get for their house. 


H1 is holding card #4. H2 started with card #1. 
 17-year old, J stared with the final card in the deck, #40. 

Part of the fun/challenge is that the more advanced cards have some hidden blocks. You have to use problem solving skills to complete the design. 

Another fun part of this game is that you don't have to follow any card. You can use your imagination and create your own design. 

I highly recommend it. 


Comments

Popular Posts